Friday, February 11, 2011

logos












I think this assignment was much more challenging than the robot. I had a really hard time trying to visualize my logo against nothing. I kept feeling like it should be on something, laying flat on a surface with something behind it. I started with the 'Lomo' logo first. (Lomo is the brand of 35mm camera I use) I don't know why I chose Lomo. I like the name. On the last pic, you can see the first version. It was created from splines only. I didn't quite have it down yet and mistakes were made. On the final version of it above, I did use a chamfer box and a sphere I sliced in half to make the body and viewfinder and then drew the rest with splines. But even once I finished I still didn't feel like I had adequately practiced all the techniques so I started on logo #2. Loud Sound was extremely difficult and as with the Lomo logo, many, many mistakes were made. I think my final result looks like a tombstone but I was really just trying stuff out and seeing what transformed out of it on my screen. I used an arc spline for the sides and then connected the vertices at the corners. I didn't necessarily mean for it to fill in the back like it did but it was a panic moment and I didn't want to make things worse. I also used an arc to set the path for the word "LOUD". That was pretty cool except when I did it, it reversed the word and I had to breath, and then find the flip button to fix it. The headphones are also made from an arc plus two straight lines that I did not extrude or bevel. I just rendered them in viewport and added some thickness. (This is also how I got the rims around the viewfinder on the Lomo logo). The ear pads on the headphones are just beveled ellipses and the cord is obviously just a helix. My logos are pretty basic and I think I need more practice with splines. Even though they have some depth, they still just seem very flat to me.


1 comment:

  1. The logos look good. I think an easy way to make them seem to have more depth is to change the shadow color to a grey tone instead of black. And turn down the light intensity. BTW do you work in max or maya?

    ReplyDelete