Saturday, February 5, 2011

little robot friend










My first little 3D creation. He stands just around my height; a little above 5'. I used standard and extended primitives. I used various modifiers like mirror and bend (the arms) and cloned all the little things like the antennas, buttons and fingers. I've never played with this software before so it was a little overwhelming. I kept feeling like there were probably easier ways to achieve all the little tasks and I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I wished I could have made him glossier with maybe some reflections and with more detail (like panel doors, bolts, ect). It also bugs me that everything on him is protruding. I couldn't figure out how to push just a face or side inward. But I'm sure I will. . His hands bother me the most. I'm terrible with hands. I wanted to do some kind of C shape (like Plex on Yo Gabba Gabba) but couldn't figure out that shape either. But I'm pretty happy with him. Overall, as this was my intro to this software (and essentially, this new major), I had a blast working on it. I sent pics of my progress to my phone so I could obsess about him when I wasn't in front of the computer. I started last Saturday after class and have kept him up on my screen all week, sitting down to work on him whenever I could. I think these are the best 8 pics I rendered. He likes to work it, you know. He's a robot.


2 comments:

  1. I know you had some concerns about drawing, but clearly, this is not going to be an issue as you work in 3D. This robot is absolutely fantastic! Has the best personality of any robot I have ever seen in any of my classes...ever. I am really looking forward to working with you this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work! My first 3d assignment was hideous haha, from what it looks like you'll do great in this class!

    P.S. i was searching through blogs and came across yours, I clicked on it because i saw your cake had a lost logo on it... so i figured you had to be a nerd like me haha. I look forward to watching the progress! take care

    ReplyDelete