Friday, January 28, 2011

intro

hello. my name is mary but everyone just calls me kate. this is my intro for my 3d modeling and rendering class. i am notoriously bad at first impressions. Maybe this intro will help me come off less weird. i am currently back in school after ten years. i went to Louisiana Tech Univ. for photography and then became a chef. Gotta pay bills, you know. i ran my own restaurant for a few years and decided i don't like being the leader. i closed up shop and went to work on a pecan orchard for a few years. i have also worked as a band photographer, custom framer and media librarian. When my daughter was born i decided to go back to school. i have completed around 50 hours of creative writing and then changed my major last semester to 3d animation. i have no regrets about either decisions. My goal is to learn this as a skill in order to be employable and to be beneficial to me personally. i am aware that this is a primarily younger and male dominated profession. However, i do believe that this is a field that is only going to grow and become more common in other areas; historical, educational, research/medical fields, engineering as well as entertainment. i would be interested in doing any kind of work in this field, whether its the almighty gaming industry or something less glamorous. Give me a list of things to get done and i'll do it. i just want to be able to go to work, do a job that i won't hate and then come home to work on my own projects. i'm fairly realistic about the fact that no one is going to pay me for my own ideas. That is where mastering this skill is most important because i need to be able to get a job based off being completely proficient in this field. Then i'll go home and work on my weird little ideas. Most of my short stories are written with the intentions of being animated, although they're nothing special. i also have a growing list of songs i've always wanted to animate videos for. But what i really want to do is take collections of works of art and animate 3d worlds based around them. As it says in the 'about me' section, i am slightly obsessed with a painter named Pieter Bruegel. The golden ratio of his paintings are near perfect. They are perfect. Look at the Fall of Icarus or the Peasant Wedding Banquet. i can't really explain it. i just love his work. If i could only see Children's Games in motion, even if just for a split second! When i was a kid i used to imagine being inside his paintings. i would also love to actually get inside of Van Gogh's Bedroom among others. Mark Ryden's work would make for a GREAT 3D world; a little more on the fantasy side than Bruegel but Mark Ryden is pretty awesome! i guess, where i do love-LOVE video games and cartoons, i am looking to do something a little different with the art of 3d technology. Maybe help preserve the roots instead of advancing the branches. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment